Minnesota Historical Society
Fort Ridgely Historic Site
Updated on June 22, 2017
Historic Fort Ridgely is the most important historic site in Minnesota. So how do the Minnesota Historical Society and Nicollet County Historical Society care for this site?
Review – Incorrect Statements Summary
March 7, 2014
To date, I have reviewed more than 200 products related to the Dakota War of 1862. I have accumulated incorrect statements from these products and have sorted them into categories. Many duplicate statements have been removed. In all, I have about 90 pages! This essay is a summary of these statements.
- The truth is tragic enough. We do not need to embellish or revise this history.
- Many ethnic groups were involved. They all need to be included. But, many products focus on the Dakota perspective.
- People search for and report the worst things the whites did to the Dakota. It appears that the Whites did nothing right.
- Much more time and space are devoted to Dakota history than to other ethnic groups, especially after the Dakota War of 1862.
- Many general statements about various groups are not correct because these statements do not apply to all persons in that group.
- Many people today, have beliefs about Dakota history based on wrong information.